Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Tour Day 2: Limon

7/9/13

This morning my parents and I woke up around 5 a.m. to set off to spend the next two days in the province of Limon, Costa Rica. Limon is a poor, relatively dangerous town full of English- and Spanish-speaking Jamaicans. I was excited to learn we would be traveling here, because it is a place I would be too nervous to travel to alone or with friends. In the safety of the tour bus, however, with Rolando our guide knowing every person in Costa Rica and their mother, I feel safe and excited for this experience.

We started off the day by driving through the busy city of San Jose, which I am familiar with, and I was able to quietly supplement Rolando's information to my parents. For example, when he pointed out the theatre, I told my parents that on Thursdays plays are only $2.00. Once again I felt like part of the elite having this small piece of knowledge.

The route to Limon was very pretty, with trees and greenery looking like large pieces of broccoli, and at one point we passed a yellow river. We also passed pineapple and banana fields. Fun fact: in the banana plantations men rope 25 bunches of bananas together and run them from place to place as the main method of transportation. These runners make around $25 a day, which is big money. Another fun fact: bananas start out as flowers, and only half of the flowers turn into bananas.

        

       (Above: the yellow river)

       (Above: the yellow river)

       (Above: pineapple field)


We entered Limon after approximately an hour and a half and made our first stop at a butterfly garden. My mom's favorite part was looking at the blue butterflies, my dad liked the women dressed in butterfly outfits, and I enjoyed the diverse greenery in the garden, and the cookies offered in the waiting room.














    

                (Above: a banana runner)

                          (Above: casaba root, which is similar to potatoes)

                                             


As we drove through the town of Limon, my suspicions about the safety were confirmed. Police were everywhere! I told my dad to move his wallet into his front zipper pocket and to be very aware, and to take away all money from my mom for safekeeping (which, let's be honest, he should probably do anyways).

 (Above: a Limon police checkpoint onset by a recent robbery)

As we approached the hotel, Rolando warned us not to be surprised by finding a frog, beetle, or other kind of creature in our hotel room. He told us that if this was the case, not to freak out, and he suggested that if we're having trouble adjusting to the uninvited company to try giving it a name, which might take the edge off. I have pre-named my room critter "Peter," in honor of my host dog.

The Tortuguera province, where we are staying, is only accessible by boat and plane; we were driven by boat. We saw plentiful wildlife and greenery on our trip, including a few monkeys! Our guide's name is Willace and I enjoyed speaking to him in Spanish and listening to his Limon accent.

                         (Above: Willace)


(Above: workers on the lake digging up sand to fill the holes in the houses to prevent water from getting in.)



We arrived at the hotel and were greeted with thousands of mosquitos who were eager to get a taste of our exotic Gringo blood. in addition, the mystery critters Rolando spoke of ended up being bats! We spent the afternoon eating, walking along the beach, and lounging at the hotel before our evening tours.

(Above: the bats in the hotel. Notice the "Wake up Knock" sign, because there are no phones in our Tortuguera hotel rooms.)








      (Above: the definition of "tranquila," or "calm")

We ended the day with a tour in a Limon jungle with the intentions of spotting some red-eyed tree frogs. To our surprise, however, they were everywhere! In trees, on the ground, and even jumping and climbing on people! My dad, ever the explorer, ventured into the wilderness when the guides weren't looking and surprised everyone (himself included) by discovering two iguanas! When he pulled the leaf back to reveal the iguanas, he almost grabbed one by its face-- possibly the reason the tour was guided. My rebellious financial advisor father, however, cannot be tamed.

       (Above: a red-eye tree frog)

                     (Above: two geckos)

After a post-dinner swim in the pool we are off to bed (yes, at 8:30...) in preparation for the 5 a.m. sunrise hike along the beach my parents and I have planned for the morning. Buenos noches! 










No comments:

Post a Comment