Sunday, July 28, 2013

Superstitions

My host parents have many beliefs that are superstitions, wives tales, or just inaccurate logic. I think it is extremely interesting to see what people in other cultures believe. Some of the ideas I can understand how someone could potentially believe through skewed logic, and some I simply can't empathize with.

First, I will start off with my favorite myth: Manuel, my host dad, feeds Peter the dog dead scorpions that he cuts in half, because he says they will make him angry and therefore increasingly mean to humans. It took me a moment to process this information before having any reaction whatsoever. After I realized that he wasn't joking, the seemingly obvious problem with the plan is that, if Peter is eating the dead scorpions, he is likely viewing them as treats. Since a human is giving him these treats, it would seem to me that this action would make him like humans more, rather than less. Another problem is that the idea that eating scorpions will make him mean simply does not make sense. I have no clue if scorpions are inherently mean or not, but assuming they are for the sake of the argument, one does not obtain the traits of what it consumes. Humans eat cows, chickens, fish, and other types of meat on a daily basis and I have yet to hear of a human starting to moo, or growing gills. Saying a dog will become meaner by eating a scorpion would mean that humans would lose intelligence by eating a cow. It doesn't make logical sense and it simply isn't true.

Next, there is no walking barefoot permitted in the house. The reasoning behind this is because the cold floors will make us sick. It initially seemed innocent enough that someone uneducated on germs and bacteria could believe this wives' tale. After some experimenting, however, I noticed that, although we are in the middle of winter, the floors are not cold. In fact, they are a very comfortable temperature. Which makes me wonder-- how is it healthy for us to shower in the 20 degree water, but unhealthy to walk barefoot on 70 degree floor? It seems as though there is something inaccurate with this logic.

Another superstition: I am not allowed to exercise for at least one hour after I eat, because it is bad for my organs and I will get a stomach ache. I understand this misconception, because it reminds me of the "no swimming after you eat" idea that was widely believed in the U.S. until the Mythbusters busted that myth a few years ago. Generally things will come to Costa Rica many generations after they hit the U.S. (my 19 year old host sister is currently obsessed with Led Zeppelin), so I'm hoping in 50 years or so that episode will arrive in Costa Rica, the myth will be busted here as well, and people can exercise freely and as they please.

Additionally, there is no showering permitted until at least one hour after eating. This is because our organs are very delicate. I can't say I can understand with this one. Perhaps it is the act of standing, or maybe the fact that there is water going on you, but either way, Hilda makes sure that I follow this house rule. If I walk to the bathroom with a towel, she will give me a full interrogation until I can convince her that I am just placing it on the rack to dry.

Also, rubbing lotion into the pressure points in your arms will completely heal you if you are sick. I have already written about this; this wives' tale was discovered when I became feverishly ill. The logic is that by massaging lotion into your pressure points, it will increase the blood flow and the new blood will take over and heal you in two hours, exactly. There are, clearly, many problems with this idea. First, it is not your blood that heals you-- it is your immune system. Secondly, each individual person has a different system and is affected by illnesses differently, and even doctors can't tell their patients an exact time that they can be healed. Two hours is an awfully specific and short amount of time for a person's blood stream to heal them.

Lastly, I will end with a cultural custom that I agree with, which is that both morning tranquility and eating a big breakfast are very important. I am not permitted to leave the house without breakfast, even if I am not hungry or am sick with a stomach ache (occasionally some homeless dogs have benefitted from this house rule). I absolutely agree with Hilda that it is healthy to wake up a few hours before you need to leave in order to have a calm and tranquil morning. Sitting at the table, drinking coffee, and waking up slowly is my idea of a perfect morning. It has also been proven that children concentrate and perform better in school after they have eaten a healthy breakfast. Additionally, waking up early and leisurely getting ready would seem to be more healthy than having the daily stress of trying to rush out the door. I am going to try to have family breakfasts in my future like they do here in the Chavez family.



It is very interesting for me to learn and experience life through this new culture and with these superstitions and lack of education. Stories are passed through generations, from stay-at-home mom to their daughter, who will become a stay-at-home mom, and so on. I am so happy to be able to live in this culture and experience the ways of life of other people. It is important for me to emphasize that I am in no way writing in a disparaging fashion or pretending to be superior. In fact, I am positive I do, say, and believe things way more far-fetched than these six beliefs. I just thought it would be interesting to write about different beliefs that this culture has. Hopefully I will be able to experience, and then compare and contrast, many different cultural norms in my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment