Monday, June 10, 2013

Meeting my Host Family

Today was the most terrified, lost, confused, frustrated, self-conscious, and bewildered that I have ever felt. It was the best day yet.

Our host families were scheduled to arrive for a big dinner party at 6 p.m. last night. I have never felt so many emotions, much less all at the same time. Most of the families had casually arrived by around 6:30, however mine was still missing. When the feast commenced, I was instructed not to join the party and to continue standing in the entryway to wait for my host family. I felt like one of the Costa Rican outside dogs. The dinner smelled so delicious: chips, guacamole, salsa, beans and rice, chicken, burritos, salad... All taunting me by the sounds of the other students' and families' enjoyment. Finally, around 6:45 I heard the sound of a car pull up. With the knowledge that my new family had not abandoned me and they were simply 45 minutes late, I instantly knew that they were a perfect match for me.

Hilda and Manuel are my host mom and host dad, Mila is my 19-year-old sister, and I have a 13 year-old-brother who has yet to say a word and I am not quite sure of his name. I felt a whole new rush of emotions when I learned that they did not speak a word of English; I think "terrified" would summarize them adequately. I sat next to Hilda at dinner, and she chatted away while I smiled and nodded. The situation would get awkward when she would pause and look at me expectantly, and I would realize that she had asked me a question and would have to admit that I didn't understand her and ask if she could please repeat the question. As my new housemate Anna and I spoke to Mila, she told us that she had always wanted a big sister and now she is excited to have two. I told her that we are more like infants, since we don't know much Spanish and basically the only thing we can do properly is eat.

After dinner, everyone sang Costa Rican songs and each host family introduced themselves. It was fun to be immersed in the culture and to hear Spanish songs that the families all knew the lyrics to and weren't afraid to sing. I found out that my host parents love to sing karaoke on weekends. They asked if I like to sing as well and I told them I can barely speak in Spanish, much less sing in it. I learned, however, that most music here is sang in English! Even on the radio there is only English music playing. If I had known that I would have told them I was mute or something, but it looks like I may be out of excuses.

When we arrived at the house, I was surprised and thrilled to learn that both Anna and I have our own rooms! Here is where I will be spending my time:




What I love most about the room is that it reminds me of home; as it is right next to the garage where the dog sleeps, I get to hear barking all night, just like I do when I am home with my dog. It's great, but does not help much with the dark circles developing under my eyes. A small price to pay for nostalgia.

Anna and I were given an assignment by our teacher to sit down with the family and talk about rules, since we don't want want to accidentally do anything that makes our family uncomfortable in any way. As we sat down, Manuel placed a glass of orange juice in front of us and Hilda served us a piece of sweet bread. My prediction that this family was the perfect fit was confirmed. To top it off, we learned that there are no rules! We can do what we want, when we want, and where we want. Hilda offered to clean our laundry and dishes, but Anna and I insisted that we help out and complete our own chores. To top off the utter perfection of this family, they have internet!!!! I feel very lucky to have been placed with them. Here is me with my family, Los Chaves:


I feel a little bad for Hilda, however, because most of what I can contribute to conversations thus far is smiling and nodding, but I am having a blast nonetheless.

I am very excited for the opportunity to live with such kind and gracious hosts. Already I am starting to pick up on words and phrases that I did not know before. I can't wait to see what experiences the next few days bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment